The former Secretary of State of Connecticut, Pauline R Kezer once said: “Continuity gives us roots; change gives us branches, letting us stretch and grow and reach new heights.” This is a quote that resonates with us, the caretakers of Second Dawn. Our goal is always to provide the means for you, the player, to have the best experience possible when choosing to become part of the dynamic stories being told. Part of this mandate involves not resting on our laurels and always striving to innovate and iterate. Our foundation, or roots if you will, are very strong and stable and allow us to keep moving forward in our goals and reach for those new heights. 2013 was an excellent year and at the end of it, we saw our highest attendance numbers. We want to keep that momentum rolling, and on that note, we have quite a few great changes in store for 2014 that we want to share with you. So without further preamble…
1. A New Combat/Interaction/Class System: Part of innovation and design is always looking at what you have created, objectively, and seeing what you could have done better. As we grew, it became apparent to us that our combat system and methods of communication bogged down the more people who participated in a combat engagement. This “lag”, if you will, happened to everyone involved, including marshals who were there to help mediate the results of the engagement. Basically, there was too much to keep up with in a combat.. Knowing that this would not get easier with more growth, we decided to overhaul the combat system, and make it simpler for all involved, but keep some of the great flavor that has come before. With these changes we have:
Overhauled the Class System
Overhauled the Item System
Simplified the Combat Numbers to a much lower scale
Overhauled the Effects System, and removed redundancy
Made fundamental changes to Combat for Player Safety
We want to thank everyone, including a number of staffers and players, for their contributions to the system and its many changes.
For 2014, our current rules staff is…
Mark Faubion – Rules Admin
Saleem Halibi – Head of Rules
2. The Starting of a New Campaign (complete with a New Campaign Committee!): The Age of Mystery ended, and the Age of Revelation has begun. Players will either be from the Age of Mystery, 300 years earlier, or from the Age of Revelation. Many events have taken place since the last time these lands were graced with your presence. Please refer to the new “Beta” rulebook, to see a timeline of these events.
Without further ado, the 2014 Entertainment Committee:
Mckell McIntyre – EC Director
Returning EC: The Faces you Already Know and Love
New EC: The New Ones You Will Grow to Love
3. Changes to the Entertainment Model:
In addition to the great storytelling you have come to expect from the Second Dawn Entertainers, we are also introducing a new system where your story will be more directly driven by your faction's actions. Post-event, we want you to elect the next action your organization or order will take. We are referring to this as the “macro-action-que”, which allows members of your faction to truly drive the story. There will also be a “micro-action-que” system on Saturday afternoons, set up to address, smaller/less world spanning needs, handle logistics requests, and also feed into the new “Estate System” when it is released.
4. Creation of a Stronger In-Play Economic Model, complete with Currency
Based on player feedback about items, reagent availability, and difficulty of use, we have created a new economic system that incorporates new materials, currency, and item crafting processes to allow players a new wealth and gear experience. This system emphasizes ongoing value, usefulness, customization, and ease of creation. It will allow players to develop items that are both functional and cool for their characters. Characters over time will discover special augmentation recipes of various types that will allow them to customize their equipment to suit their needs and style. Special ceremonies and lost arts can be found that will allow players to convert their items into new forms, for a price, so that they can build and grow their tools, just as their character grows. The new estate system when made available will allow players and their friends to use their wealth from both the previous age and the current age to interact meaningfully with the world and develop their influence as they desire. Keep an eye out for the many new colorful loot phys reps, as they all have value, and everyone can find a use for them.
5. Changes to our Out of Play Pricing Model
New Pricing for 2014: We try really hard to be responsive to our players, and several have indicated that they would be interested in some additional options to our pricing. We worked out quite a few options to try to be more flexible and a special bonus rate for first time players. This is on a trial basis, and based on the response then we are likely to make it permanent.
For your convenience, Pre-registration can now be sent via Paypal to
No-Preregistration, with food: $65
Saturday full day play with Food $45
Friday night play, with food: 20
Saturday day play, with food: 20 (ends at 5pm, does not include feast)
Saturday night play, with food: 25 (begins at 5pm, includes feast)
First time larper, with food: 45
Starter package (@1/3 max level), includes registration and food: 90
Preregistration, with food: 60
Preregistration, without food: 50
Wheww, as you can see, we have been busy. There are a ton of changes, and too many changes at once can seem overwhelming, we know! Fortunately, the roots of what makes Second Dawn great are still in place. There will still be great story to interact with for your character. There are still the same Admin helping to administrate the game and keep it running smoothly, so your concerns are always in play and not out of play. There is still a great community of friends and comrades, waiting to take up arms to defeat the enemies of this new story!
All of the changes made are aimed at making this a great, fun game to play. We didn’t want rules becoming the primary focus, just the vehicle in which your character can accomplish heroic deeds (or dastardly, if you are into that!). We want to provide you that immersive experience you seek and all of our changes are done with that goal in mind. So come out and try what we have revamped. We look forward to embarking on this new chapter with you!!